ALL SPEAKERS LIVE via WEBCAST
2021 Tax Section Annual Meeting and CLE
12:00 - 12:30 - Meeting and Election (NOT FOR CLE credit)
12:30 - 2:30 - CLE - Dante’s Inferno for Taxpayers: A Journey to the Realm of Federal Tax Penalties
2:30 - 3:00 - BREAK
3:00 - 4:00 - Guest Speaker: Professor Alice G. Abreu, Honorable Nelson A. Diaz Professor of Law, Director, Center for Tax Law and Public Policy, Temple University Beasley School of Law - "Why Is Tax So White?" (NOT FOR CLE credit)
CLE - Dante’s Inferno for Taxpayers: A Journey to the Realm of Federal Tax Penalties
This advanced CLE presentation is designed to provide an update on federal tax penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, including available defenses and related procedural issues. While our tax system is designed to involve voluntary compliance, penalties serve to provide incentives for taxpayers to comply with their obligations.
Our panelists will address:
• Accuracy-related penalties under section 6662 of the Code, and the related defenses
• The civil fraud penalty under section 6663 of the Code and related matters, including the treatment of spouses filing a joint return
• Reportable transaction penalties including failure to furnish information, and failure to maintain lists of advisees, along with the impact of the full-payment rule on judicial review
• Affordable Care Act penalties, including penalties assessed in connection with Forms 1094-C and 1095-C, Section 4980H penalties, and repayment of excess advance premium credit payments
• Foreign reporting tax penalties, including FBAR penalties and penalties for failure to report on foreign corporations and partnerships
• Employment tax penalties, including the trust fund recovery penalty, as well as related civil and criminal enforcement
• Enforcement priorities
Join your colleagues for valuable updates and guidance regarding federal tax penalties.
Professor Andrew Weiner
Director, Graduate Tax Program, Practice Professor of Law
Temple University, Beasley School of Law
Beverly Winstead, Esq.
The Law Office of Beverly Winstead, LLC
Director, Low Income Tax Clinic, University of Maryland
James R. Malone, Jr., Esq.
Principal, Post & Schell, P.C.
After the CLE concludes, there will be a 30-minute break and then join your Philadelphia Bar Tax Section colleagues for a presentation by our featured guest speaker, Professor Alice G. Abreu, Honorable Nelson A. Diaz Professor of Law, Director, Center for Tax Law and Public Policy, Temple University Beasley School of Law, addressing "Why Is Tax So White?"
* This CLE is eligible to be taken for free as part of the six free CLE credits given to members in good standing. To take advantage of this benefit, enter the promo code MBRSFREE21 or MBRSFREE22 at checkout.
NON-MEMBERS - IMPORTANT REGISTRATION CODES: FOR CLE CREDIT OPTIONS ONLY
1. Non-Member Government Attorney or Judicial Non-Member, please enter PROMO Code GVNML2 in the Checkout Cart
2. Non-Member Legal Services/Public Interest Attorney, please enter PROMO Code LSPINML2 in the Checkout Cart
3. Non-Member Court Reporter or Non-Member Paralegal, please enter PROMO Code CRPLNML2 in the Checkout Cart
Registration amount and category will be verified prior to credits being reported!