Attend via Webcast!
Different Sides of the Same Coin? Attorney-Client Privilege and Work-Product Doctrine
Hosted by the State Civil Litigation Section
Understanding the Contours and Nuances of Attorney-Client Privilege and Work-Product Doctrine in Pennsylvania
The attorney-client privilege is one of the most important principles that every lawyer must know, because every communication in which the lawyer engages can implicate that protection. The attorney-client and work product protections can profoundly affect the outcome of litigation, especially when invoked or challenged early in the process.
In this CLE program, our featured speaker will address the fundamentals; examine the key differences between attorney-client privilege and the work product doctrine in-depth; and offer attorneys practical tips when invoking or challenging work product doctrine and attorney-client privilege.
Learn the answers to the following questions.
• What does privilege protect… purely factual communications?
• How does the privilege apply – basic principles and in derivative actions?
• What are trial courts’ obligations prior to making privilege determinations? What are the sources of proof courts examine in analyzing privilege protection?
• How are privileged materials distinguished from work product?
• Do the rules for work-product waiver differ dramatically from the rules for privilege waiver? How?
Hear guidance on preserving the privilege.
• Understand privilege in context of corporations, in-house counsel and electronic communications
• Determine how to establish and maintain the privilege
• Consider what constitutes waiver, how it can be avoided, and how it can be remedied
Receive an update on recent significant Pennsylvania cases, and current controversies stemming from attorney-client privilege and the work-product-doctrine.
Kevin P. Allen, Esq.
Member, Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott LLC
Hon. Denis P. Cohen
Court of Common Pleas - Trial Division
First Judicial District
* This CLE is eligible to be taken for free as part of the six free CLE credits given to members in good standing. To take advantage of this benefit, enter the promo code MBRSFREE21 at checkout.
NON-MEMBERS - IMPORTANT REGISTRATION CODES: (Codes pertain to CLE option ONLY)
1. Non-Member Government Attorney or Judicial Non-Member, please enter PROMO Code GVNML2 in the Checkout Cart
2. Non-Member Legal Services/Public Interest Attorney, please enter PROMO Code LSPINML2 in the Checkout Cart
3. Non-Member Court Reporter or Non-Member Paralegal, please enter PROMO Code CRPLNML2 in the Checkout Cart
Registration amount and category will be verified prior to credits being reported!