Attend via Webcast!
VIDEO ENCORE: Advocacy Strategies for Kinship in Domestic Relations and Dependency Matters
Despite growing awareness of the number of grandparents and other relatives caring for children, as well as a policy effort to increase the number of formal kinship foster care placements, legal strategies for navigating and strengthening the use of kinship care are not widely discussed. This CLE will offer practical advocacy strategies for attorneys and judges who find themselves faced with a kinship care option for children.
Join Kinship Care advocate Karissa Phelps, Stoneleigh Emerging Leader Fellow, along with Philadelphia Family Court Judge, Hon. Deborah Canty and panelists from the Department of Human Services, Community Legal Services, Support Center for Child Advocates, Defender Association Child Advocacy Unit, Senior Law Center, and private counsel as they:
• Examine the benefits and barriers of kinship care
• Discuss advocacy strategies for increasing and improving kinship care
• Engage a panel of diverse perspectives on their best tips for improving kinship care
This video-encore CLE offers practical suggestions for how you can advocate for a child in dependency to be placed in an appropriate kinship placement. We will also examine legal options and advocacy strategies for kinship caregivers who are not involved with child welfare. Whether you are an attorney or judge in dependency or domestic relations, you will walk away more knowledgeable and better equipped to navigate kinship care!
Hon. Deborah L. Canty
Court of Common Pleas, Family Division
First Judicial District
Laurie A. Ayler, LSW
Social Work Supervisor
Support Center for Child Advocates
Yalonda Houston, Esq.
Staff Attorney, Family Advocacy Unit
Community Legal Services’
Janine Dunlap Kiah, Esq.
Project Director, Pursuing Justice for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren in Pennsylvania
Senior Law Center
Courtney Norella, Esq.
Divisional Deputy City Solicitor
Child Welfare Unit, City of Philadelphia
Karissa Phelps, Esq., MSW
Stoneleigh Foundation Emerging Leader Fellow
Temple University Legal Aid Office
Doni Shaffer, Esq.
Chief, Child Advocacy Unit
Defender Association of Philadelphia
Janice Sulman, Esq.
Private Dependency Bar
Owner, Law Office of Janice M. Sulman
* This CLE is eligible to be taken for free as part of the six free CLE credits given to members in good standing. To take advantage of this benefit, enter the promo code MBRSFREE21 at checkout.
NON-MEMBERS - IMPORTANT REGISTRATION CODES: (Codes pertain to CLE option ONLY)
1. Non-Member Government Attorney or Judicial Non-Member, please enter PROMO Code GVNML2 in the Checkout Cart
2. Non-Member Legal Services/Public Interest Attorney, please enter PROMO Code LSPINML2 in the Checkout Cart
3. Non-Member Court Reporter or Non-Member Paralegal, please enter PROMO Code CRPLNML2 in the Checkout Cart
Registration amount and category will be verified prior to credits being reported!