SPEAKERS LIVE via WEBCAST
Depression: An Occupational Hazard of the Legal Profession
Presented with Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers
Depression is the most common mental health concern, affecting 10% of the general population. Depression interferes with daily life and normal functioning. Studies have suggested lawyers experience depression at higher rates than the general population. Schedules, case details and other stresses prevalent in the practice of law may contribute to higher rates of depression.
This program addresses the alarming prevalence rates of mental health disorders in legal professionals. People in the legal profession are dying because it is too painful to ask for help. This must STOP. This course dispels the stigma associated with mental health, which is a roadblock to legal professionals reaching out for help. It provides a comprehensive overview of risk factors and symptoms of depression, compelling reasons detailing why attorneys with depression should seek help, and intervention strategies for attorneys with colleagues in need of support.
Andrea Farney will be sharing her riveting personal story and journey during this program, which will further emphasize that the stigma associated with mental health is truly an illusion. Finally, the presentation will outline the confidential, free, safe, and supportive resources that are available through Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers of Pennsylvania, Inc.
This program will:
• Recognize that the stigma associated with mental health disorders is simply an illusion
• Identify the prevalence of substance use and/or mental health disorder in the legal profession
• Appreciate that substance use and mental health disorders are chronic, progressive, and fatal if untreated, though the prognosis for recovery is excellent if help is sought (depression has a treatment success rate of 80%)
• Utilize the confidential, free, safe, and supportive resources that are available through LCL
Join your colleagues to learn how to recognize signs of depression, and examine supportive resourcesto help improve mental health and wellness.
Laurie Besden, Esq.
Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers
Andrea C. Farney, Esq.
* This CLE is eligible to be taken for free as part of the six free CLE credits given to members in good standing. To take advantage of this benefit, enter the promo code MBRSFREE21 at checkout.