Attend via Webcast!
Ethical Issues for Attorneys Serving on a Nonprofit Board
Many attorneys have the opportunity to join a nonprofit board throughout their careers. For anyone, this can be a very rewarding experience, bring opportunities to improve one’s skills, make valuable connections, and help a cause that is personally meaningful. However, whether you are a new or experienced attorney, there are many ethical considerations to take into account before serving.
This CLE will provide an in-depth look at common ethical issues lawyers encounter and provide practical tips for those considering serving or already serving on a nonprofit board. Some topics covered will include:
• Proper due diligence: what questions to ask and documents to request before joining
• Understanding organizational structure
• Understanding your role as a board member and how you can help with business decisions, risk management, and legal decisions
• Serving as legal counsel and a director
• Duties and limitations in the role of the attorney on a nonprofit board according to rules of professional conduct
• Conflicts of interest and board member fiduciary duties
• Board member limited liability, D&O insurance, and indemnification
• Other ethical issues that may arise in the course of Board service
Please feel free to send questions in advance so panelists can incorporate them into the discussion. Subject line should read, "Ethical Issues Nonprofit Board questions," and email to email@example.com.
Jeffery A. Dailey, Esq.
Philadelphia, PA / Media, PA / New York, NY
Noel A. Fleming, Esq.
Fleming Petenko Law
Kayci D. Petenko, Esq.
Fleming Petenko Law
NON-MEMBERS - IMPORTANT REGISTRATION CODES: (Codes pertain to CLE option ONLY)
4. Non-Member Government Attorney or Judicial Non-Member, please enter PROMO Code GVNMWC2 in the Checkout Cart
5. Non-Member Legal Services/Public Interest Attorney, please enter PROMO Code LSPINMWC2 in the Checkout Cart
6. Non-Member Court Reporter or Non-Member Paralegal, please enter PROMO Code CRPLNMWC2 in the Checkout Cart
Registration amount and category will be verified prior to credits being reported!