LIVE and WEBCAST
Presented with the Philadelphia Association of Paralegals
The issue of distracted driving has burgeoned with the steady increase of mobile and in-vehicle communications devices. While distracted driving includes any activity that diverts a driver’s attention from the primary task of driving, the use of electronic devices while driving is particularly dangerous as they require visual, auditory and cognitive attention and often some form of manual attention as well.
Attention is a limited resource, so the increased use of cell phones and other in-car technologies raises concerns about road safety. The commonsense reasoning is that 1) driving requires attention, 2) in-car technology consumes attention, 3) there is less attention remaining for the driver so 4) the driver fails to respond, resulting in a collision. In this program, three ways of evaluating the risks posed by present and future in-car technologies will be discussed. One is to understand how drivers normally deploy attention to perform the driving task and then to analyze how and when in-car technologies are likely to interfere with normal driving. The second approach is to compare the risks posed by cell phones and new technologies with existing and widely accepted distractions such as eating, smoking, talking, and playing the radio. The third method is to review epidemiological analysis of accident data that purports to reveal the impact of in-car technology.
Distracted driving is an increasing problem that presents questions lawyers and courts will need to grapple with. Representing those impacted by these types of crashes, lawyers play a role in raising awareness about the dangers of devices that visually and cognitively distract drivers.
Don't miss this timely and informative program!
Justin P. Schorr, Ph.D.
Collision Reconstruction / Transportation Engineer
DJS Associates, INC.
Kevin P. O’Brien, Esq.
Stampone O’Brien Dilsheimer Law
NON-MEMBERS - IMPORTANT REGISTRATION CODES: FOR CLE CREDIT OPTIONS ONLY (NOT ON LUNCH ONLY OPTION)
LIVE In-Person Registrants
1. Non-Member Government Attorney or Judicial Non-Member, please enter PROMO Code GVNML1 in the Checkout Cart
2. Non-Member Legal Services/Public Interest Attorney, please enter PROMO Code LSPINML1 in the Checkout Cart
3. Non-Member Court Reporter or Non-Member Paralegal, please enter PROMO Code CRPLNML1 in the Checkout Cart
4. Non-Member Government Attorney or Judicial Non-Member, please enter PROMO Code GVNMWC1 in the Checkout Cart
5. Non-Member Legal Services/Public Interest Attorney, please enter PROMO Code LSPINMWC1 in the Checkout Cart
6. Non-Member Court Reporter or Non-Member Paralegal, please enter PROMO Code CRPLNMWC1 in the Checkout Cart
Registration amount and category will be verified prior to credits being reported!