Hosted by the Legal Rights of Children Committee
The Aftermath of the Crisis at Glen Mills: Lessons Learned and Strategies for Reform
Abuse at Glen Mills Schools and Wordsworth Academy have brought regional and national attention to the serious harm endured by youth at Pennsylvania residential facilities. This program will provide an overview of the state system of licensing and oversight of residential placements trusted with the care and education of children publicly placed in residential facilities. Panelists will discuss necessary reforms, including efforts of the Youth Residential Placement Task Force established by Philadelphia City Council, statements by Governor Wolf, and claims made in recently filed litigation against Glen Mills Schools and state agencies.
This program will provide and address the following:
• Overview of Pennsylvania’s system for licensing and oversight for the safety and education of children placed by the court in residential facilities
• Legal framework and equity issues presented in the assignment of youth to residential placements, safety concerns and harm caused by long-term placements
• The legal landscape and educational rights of children publicly placed in residential facilities
• Constitutional and statutory challenges brought against Glen Mills Schools, PA-DHS, PDE Secretary Rivera and individual staff in the ongoing class action litigation, Derrick, et al. v. Glen Mills Schools, et al. (E.D.Pa. 2019)
Attend this timely program to hear the latest regarding reforms needed for children’s safety, education & well-being in youth residential facilities.
Cynthia F. Figueroa, Commissioner, Philadelphia Department of Human Services
Lisa Gartner, Investigative Reporter, The Philadelphia Inquirer
Karen U. Lindell, Esq., Senior Attorney, Juvenile Law Center
Ellyn C. Sapper, Esq., Defender Association of Philadelphia
Margie Wakelin, Esq., Education Law Center PA
Ebony D. Wortham, Esq., Supervisor, Juvenile Justice Policy and Prevention Unit, Philadelphia Office of the District Attorney
NON-MEMBERS - IMPORTANT REGISTRATION CODES:
LIVE In-Person Registrants
1. Non-Member Government Attorney or Judicial Non-Member, please enter PROMO Code GVNML2 in the Checkout Cart
2. Non-Member Legal Services/Public Interest Attorney, please enter PROMO Code LSPINML2 in the Checkout Cart
3. Non-Member Court Reporter or Non-Member Paralegal, please enter PROMO Code CRPLNML2 in the Checkout Cart
4. Non-Member Government Attorney or Judicial Non-Member, please enter PROMO Code GVNMWC2 in the Checkout Cart
5. Non-Member Legal Services/Public Interest Attorney, please enter PROMO Code LSPINMWC2 in the Checkout Cart
6. Non-Member Court Reporter or Non-Member Paralegal, please enter PROMO Code CRPLNMWC2 in the Checkout Cart
Registration amount and category will be verified prior to credits being reported!